The RHLI held their annual voluntary Church Parade on Sunday, October 14th, 2007 at Church of the Ascension at 64 Forest Avenue, our Regimental Church.
The annual Church Parade is a chance for the unit to gather away from the training routine and meet under more social circumstances. The Church of the Ascension is the repository of the laid-up Regimental Colours from units leading up to today’s RHLI. Holding the annual service there reflects the RHLI’s history since the unit was founded in 1862, and reminds us of the tradition of military service.
As part of that regimental history, he church also holds the Communion Service belonging to Honorary Captain John Foote, VC, CD. Foote was the chaplain of the RHLI in the early days of World War 2, who went ashore with the regiment at Dieppe. He chose to remain behind on the beach with the wounded, and took his Communion Service with him into the German POW camp.
The Cadets of 62 (RHLI) Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps joined the regiment on parade.